About Revitalising Newcastle
Revitalising Newcastle is a NSW Government program focused on activating the city to attract people, jobs and tourism to Newcastle.
The government has invested over $650 million in the program to transform the city centre by strengthening connections between the city and waterfront, creating job opportunities, providing new housing and delivering attractive public spaces connected to better transport.
The program followed government investment in the University of Newcastle’s city campus - NeW Space - and the Newcastle law courts, which opened in 2016. Both projects demonstrate the growing confidence in Newcastle as a city in which to invest.
The program has delivered:
- revitalised land to provide education and affordable housing opportunities, mixed use development, job opportunities, tourist attractions and public open space including the Market Street Lawn
- Newcastle Interchange, a multi-modal transport interchange at Wickham in the city’s west
- wire-free light rail between Newcastle Interchange and Newcastle Beach, reinvigorating Hunter and Scott streets
- road and footpath upgrades in the city
- a new integrated public transport provider, Newcastle Transport, delivering better transport services and improved customer experiences.
$650 million plus investment in Revitalising Newcastle
In August 2017 the NSW Government flagged an additional $150 million in funding for the Revitalising Newcastle program, taking the total investment to more than $650 million, including:
- $200 million for the Newcastle Interchange and associated works
- $260 million for Newcastle Light Rail construction
- $50 million for Newcastle Light Rail design improvements.
The additional $150 million included:
- $75 million plus any future land sales for new public spaces on the former heavy rail corridor
- $35 million to deliver wire-free light rail, much-needed footpath upgrades at key locations on Hunter and Scott streets and street trees
- $40 million to deliver road and intersection upgrades to support traffic flow and road safety as light rail is introduced.
Revitalising Newcastle is a key NSW Government multi-agency initiative coordinated by the Hunter & Central Coast Development Corporation. The project has worked in partnership with key stakeholders including the community, local residents, industry and local business to shape the revitalisation of the city centre.