What we are doing Newcastle Interchange
Newcastle Interchange is the new major public transport hub serving the Newcastle area.
The interchange is located west of Stewart Avenue in Wickham. It will be a gateway to this great city and the final stop for customers travelling to Newcastle on the Central Coast and Newcastle, and Hunter train lines.
A fully accessible multi-modal transport interchange, Newcastle Interchange will connect customers with trains, buses, taxis, light rail, and kiss and ride facilities. It will be a key hub in Newcastle’s new integrated transport network.
The Newcastle Interchange is being delivered as part of a broad program of work including the truncation of the former heavy rail line, new train stabling and turnback facilities to the east of Hamilton Station, signaling and track work, a new pedestrian bridge and new staff facilities.
- Truncation of the heavy rail line west of Stewart Avenue
- Fully accessible transport interchange located west of Stewart Avenue
- Removal of Stewart Avenue boom gates
- Permanent closure of the Railway Street level crossing
- Fully accessible pedestrian bridge over the rail corridor near Railway Street
- Signaling and communications work, overhead wiring and associated work
- Track work, civil construction and road work
- Staff and crewing facilities for NSW Trains, Sydney Trains and Newcastle Interchange staff
- Modifications to existing signaling infrastructure
- A train stabling facility to the east of Hamilton Station (northern side), and turnback facilities
- A noise wall at Hamilton, displaying heritage images of Hamilton station from 1906.
Wickham was chosen as the interchange location due to its potential to trigger development and economic growth in what has been identified as the city’s future CBD. The fully accessible interchange will be a key hub in Newcastle’s new integrated transport network and bring residents and visitors into Newcastle’s city centre.
Laing O'Rourke is delivering the project and construction of the Newcastle Interchange is expected to be completed in late 2017.
Scoping and investigation
Review of Environmental Factors
Construction contract awarded
Newcastle Interchange open
Laing O’Rourke has commenced work as part of the design and construct contract for the Wickham Transport Interchange.
The main work includes the design and construction of train stabling and turnback facilities, a new interchange building, signalling and communication work, trackwork, civil construction and road works.
The Store site
In April 2017 the NSW Transport Minister Andrew Constance announced the government will market test plans for a bus and coach interchange and employment hub on the Store site.
The government’s vision is for the Interchange to be a fully integrated transport destination that underpins the shift of the CBD towards Newcastle’s west end.